Rubbish camera phone picts (will take better ones before moving on) but just to prove that it now looks like a Viper:
Must say that the fit around the back is either quite poor or I’ve made an error somewhere. Quite a few gaps around the engines which will need a bit of filler in them.
So task list for tonight is:
-sort out the thrusters (mark them up and shallowly drill them out)
-fill gaps around the engine parts
-fill gap behind the cockpit (forgot that as well before sealing up the fuselage)
-have put on some Wave option parts for the Rescue handle bit but they are too proud of the surface and either need to be drilled in or sanded down to make them a bit flusher (another thing which would have been easier if I’d done it before glueing up!)
Should then be ready for a coat of white primer before the end of the week. Then just decals and some weathering. Have some stuff put to one side for the equipment in the bay which I hope I can whizz through quickly.
Still not found anything ready made to contain the LEDs for the engine so going to have to try and make something round out of styrene sheet I think. Keep looking at every round item I find but not found anything suitable as yet.
Nothing like cutting it fine is there! And February seemed so far away…
Cockpit painted and 95% done. Just need to close up the light box and run a few fibre optic lines for the small lights.
Power lines have been run up the inside of the landing gear legs and will the run under the base. Engines ground out (boy that was a dull job) and etch added. Now just need to find something to contain the LEDs. I had initially thought to run these 3 lights in series, as they are rated for 3V and I want to run from a 9V battery. This would give me 3V across each one I believe. But found out I can’t do that otherwise they all end up flickering the same. But finally worked out a way of wiring them up to get the result I was after. Just need to find something to hold the LEDs now.
All sub-assemblies done and ready to start gluing together once the cockpit if fully completed. Did change the order slightly as thought it would make things easier with getting the lights into the engines but on hindsight it seems to have made it more difficult and looks like I’m going to get some gaps which are going to need filling in.
So at least some progress and looking more likely to finish decently on time.
Still not sure about what to do with the pilot and figures. Don’t really want to block up the cockpit with the pilot and not really sure I can repose him sufficiently well. Was hoping to have him standing by the Viper, but we’ll see what happens.
With the release of the Moebius Models Viper Mk II kit the SFM:uk group decided to have a group build for the South Cheshire Militaire Show on 27 February 2011. There will be 10 models built for the show each in it’s own section of hanger with the end result being a massive centre piece to our table there.
So here is the start of my build. I wont bore you with a review of the parts as that has been done quite a few times already. (There is an excellent build up by Mark McGee on the SFM:uk website).
My plan is to light the model up using the Paragrahix photo etch set to help with this in the cockpit area and have the pilot probably sitting in his seat waiting for the green light to go.
So I have drilled and cut out gaps in the plastic and then the photo etch is attached on top of these. Once painted up there are transparent prints which go behind the etch to form the instruments displays.
The box on the front of the cockpit, which is a bit rough and ready as it was trimmed to fit into the space available, will form the lightbox and contain at least 2 white LEDs. Think 2 might be enough but possible that a third might be needed if that proves necessary. Following advice this will be lined with silver foil which both reflects the light around the box and seals up any light leaks.