In catching up with posts just spotted that I never posted anything on the build of the Moebius Battlestar Galactica kit which I built for the SFM:uk Viper Squadron Build. Basically this was the basic Moebius kit assembled according to the instructions, although I left off attaching the two landing bays until after the model had been painted and decaled. The model was painted with Halfords Aluminium or Silver (I can’t remember which now) from a rattlecan. This was then washed with Games Workshop Badab Black and then sealed with Halfords Clear.
I had got the Acreation Decals set which have very pale armour detailing on them which covers the entire model and applied these. Shortly afterwards the Deluxe Set was released but to be totally honest I’m not sure there is enough difference in them to a) justify the additional cost and b) the additional time in applying them. It was a massive task as it was and pretty tedious! To begin with I wasn’t even sure they were making any difference but once one side was done it was very clear that Acreation had done an excellent job of getting the feel of the CGI model and they produce a good sense of scale.
Some custom decals were made to show the name of the Battlestar as Excalibur rather than Galactica. These had to be done in black as I had to do them on an inkjet printer. Some landing bay strips were done at the same time with the battle group number. Finally the model was sealed with Games Workshop Purity Spray which gave a nice satin finish.
These pictures were taken in an attempt to be arty and light the model in the same sort of way as the show did, with a single bright light source.
Very pleased to say that all the Vipers for the build made it to the South Cheshire Militaire show in Crewe on Sunday 27th February 2011 and the whole thing looked fantastic.
Must say the show itself was very quiet compared to 2009 (which was the last show I attended there) and from what others were saying also compared to 2010. Not sure why as the weather was OK, but the Carling Cup was on the TV…?
The main hall
The Viper Hanger was the main item on the SFM:uk table (in fact we concentrated on it so much we were a little short on models to fill out the rest of the space…will have to watch for that in future years).
So here are an absolute stack of pictures:
Individual Builds and Details
Apologies to those I didn’t take as many pictures of-thought I had them all pretty evenly covered but doesn’t seem to be the case.
Finally, my build
The Stig’s Colonial Cousin made an appearance. “Some say his mother really is a toaster and that if he had his way all Vipers would be V12 powered.”
8 members of the build group:
At the back (L-R): Blitzspear, jargonking, Tak5haka (in his drive by attendance), SUKI5150, Chris (Cleric)
So got the wiring done and everything bolted down. Got to touch up the weathering a bit and add the posters but that shouldn’t take long. Also add the little wing bits and a dab of red to the ends of the wings…
Had originally planned for a missile rack, as can be seen in the Galactica walk around, but run out of time for that now.
Battery for the lights is in the rather plain box by the wall. Can’t find my box of bits (assume it is somewhere but seems to be the only box I haven’t managed to locate in the last 12 months since our move) so hadn’t got very much to add to it. It will get a bit of a rubdown with some pigments when I touch up the Viper.
One thing to note is that I’ve done the decals around the rear engines wrongly. The red line should be broken by the engine gubbins and not run behind it.
I think a few of us have done this by mistake so I am at least not alone in this error. Also explains why I had a bit of a wrestle getting the decals to fit probably.
So there you have it. Another one to add to the done list and this will probably be the last post on this build and just some completed pictures to follow.
OK, decals on. Bit of a cock up on a couple of them and left a small gap but filled it in with some of the extra bits Mark thoughtfully provided.
Shiny and fresh at the moment. Needs some seal on the decals then set to work with the ProModeller wash I got at Telford. Slightly nervous about it as not used them before and could all go hideously wrong. Will try and rewatch their videos on You Tube tomorrow before setting to it at the weekend.
So most of my list of things from my last post have been done. Model now got a gloss coat on it and may get a chance to start some decals tonight.
These were taken just prior to putting the gloss on:
I thought it looked a bit monotone in the engine and gubbins parts so freshened it up with some brassy coloured bits. Also decided that the ribs at the front looked better white than gunmetal as breaks up that area a bit more. Know it doesn’t match the boxart etc but sure there would be some slight variations amongst the Vipers in service.
Do need to tone down the “plasma burn” pigments on the nozzles a bit as bit too blue at the moment. Probably dry brush on some more gunmetal and silver to knock it back into the recesses.