OK, good progress with this. I ran off a sheet of decals and have started applying them to the hull. They’re going to have to go all over and my optimistic 1 A4 sheet is looking mightily depleted already. So going to need a few more for definite.
Just cutting them out and fitting them on while trying to keep the orientation of the blocks more or less the same. Surprisingly wasn’t too time consuming to do. But think I will do a template for the engines as they’re are 8 of the buggers.
Going to just keep updating this post rather than starting a new one for each update for this stage.
Got the assembly completed and filled a couple of small gaps I had (around the inserts) which wasn’t 100% needed but it would have bugged me. And sanded down the joints on the hanger bay supports. Looks like these really need more detailing on them (which would also hide the seams) to be accurate, but not going down that route for this build.
So got a coat of primer on and then a coat of Halfords Ford Machine Silver. I’m trying to get a finish with is similar (doesn’t have to be identical but do want it close) to the Galactica. For that I know I used Halford Aluminium but I’d run out and the top of the Machine Silver looked very similar. But it didn’t come out anything like it. Hardly a metallic finish at all and much darker. More like a slightly metallic grey. Not sure if it’s because the can wasn’t properly mixed (it was a new one but did shake it for a good while) or just doesn’t even come close to the colour on the lid. Might even be that it was so cold when sprayed I guess?
Well I was well and truely gobsmacked earlier today when a parcel arrived from Pete and inside was the Moebius Battlestar Pegasus. So a massive thanks to Pete for his generosity in sending this. But it came with a catch that there had to be a build diary. So true to my word here is the start.
In catching up with posts just spotted that I never posted anything on the build of the Moebius Battlestar Galactica kit which I built for the SFM:uk Viper Squadron Build. Basically this was the basic Moebius kit assembled according to the instructions, although I left off attaching the two landing bays until after the model had been painted and decaled. The model was painted with Halfords Aluminium or Silver (I can’t remember which now) from a rattlecan. This was then washed with Games Workshop Badab Black and then sealed with Halfords Clear.
I had got the Acreation Decals set which have very pale armour detailing on them which covers the entire model and applied these. Shortly afterwards the Deluxe Set was released but to be totally honest I’m not sure there is enough difference in them to a) justify the additional cost and b) the additional time in applying them. It was a massive task as it was and pretty tedious! To begin with I wasn’t even sure they were making any difference but once one side was done it was very clear that Acreation had done an excellent job of getting the feel of the CGI model and they produce a good sense of scale.
Some custom decals were made to show the name of the Battlestar as Excalibur rather than Galactica. These had to be done in black as I had to do them on an inkjet printer. Some landing bay strips were done at the same time with the battle group number. Finally the model was sealed with Games Workshop Purity Spray which gave a nice satin finish.
These pictures were taken in an attempt to be arty and light the model in the same sort of way as the show did, with a single bright light source.