The photo etch set includes a large piece for the back and side walls of the cockpit. I mucked up the decals when I went to apply them but fortunately I’d taken a scan of them before and could reprint a set. Once I’d done that they went on smoothly the second try.
I’ve been completely neglecting updates here for some considerable time now, so trying to do a bit of a catch-up on the build of the Falcon as it has progressed a long way since the last update. So I will post a series of updates in rapid succession and get up to date.
After completing the landing gear the next part I wanted to focus on was the engines. For these I wanted something that showed the engines in a lower power mode as intention is to have it landed. So not off, but also not on either. So this is a bit of my imagination and not really something we have actually seen ever.
Landing gears have been painted up using Vallejo off-white with a small squirt of sky grey. Not too worried about being able to match that colour because the legs are going to be most heavily weathered.
I need to weather the landing gear up and wanted to go to town on this a bit as it’s probably going to be the most beaten up area. I applied some stippled Sky Grey over the base colour (this was used in the mix so works well with it), focusing on the edges most. I then applied some darker grey (Games Workshop) again focusing on the edges and when most of the paint was off the brush I scrubbed it around a bit more.
Picture below is the landing foot and baffle mainly completely painted. Problem is this was quite time consuming, so doing 7 is going to take a while.
Knocked back some of the darker points with some Sky Grey, trying to create layers and variation in the process. and used some MIG Rust Streaking fluid to add some rust and fluid leaks onto the surface. Also used this partially as a wash into recesses and then used a dry brush to scrub it round.
Adding some old builds which dropped off when I moved from one site to another, so here is a a build up of the RetroSF Rebel Speeder all combined into a single post.
As the Speeder is nearing completion and I need to get it all sealed (and the weather outside is not great tonight, which is where I need to be to do the spraying) I decided to make a little start on the X-Wing that will also be part of the display.
The Fine Mold kits are pretty decent and need no introduction or review, there are plenty elsewhere. So started with the cockpit. Not sure about the placement of the imaging scanner thingy. Looks too far forwards so might tweak that later. Followed tak5haka’s idea of some extra cables which were done with some solder wire.