So picked up on eBay a couple of little kits which are designed to give various options for 8 LEDs. Have played around with them and there are some options within them that look to b great for the spinning lights in the nacelles.
This is the sequence I’m likely to use and I’ve tweaked up the speed to make it quite fast.
Conveniently the circuit board fits neatly just behind the bussard collector. Just need to sort out the light blocking now.
Having got the Paragrafix photoetch set through I thought I’d make a start on that and see what modifications might be needed to incorporate it into the build. Apologies for being rather haphazard so far with this build and not really focusing on any one element. Need to bring that back into check and get a plan of action together. Anyway, in the meantime I cut out the etch for the hanger area. Went together really nicely and fits really well.
Not really a proper update on the build itself but I did get my circuit board from Ant through which he has set up to match the strobe and flashing lights seen in the movie.
Ant has recently produced his V2 LED Driver (http://www.antsnest.net/blog/) and I thought of this when trying to work out how to do the double strobe flash on the kit. So got in touch and Ant pulled together an amazing job of fixing not only the double strobe but also the single pulse lights which are seen on the bridge and by the shuttle bay.
So one of the small omissions on the Revell kit is that there are a string of lights along the raised area behind the bridge. You can see these in the image below.
For some reason Revell didn’t do these ones as windows and instead just moulded the shapes onto the parts. As I’m lighting it I need to cut these out. So using a 1mm drill I chain drilled along the windows and then cut through them with a scalpel.
So did a trawl of the internet and found some amazing builds out there. Someone on the RPF forum is doing a fully accurate and lit version (you can find his build here) and using tiny surface mount LEDs to provide the floodlights. Pretty sure I’m not going to attempt that, looks like a nightmare!
Finally got delivery of my newly released Enterprise from the new Into Darkness movie (having been held at the post office for a week) and initial impressions are very favourable. Looks like a really nice model from Revell who have clearly thought carefully about what the model builder might want to do and have produced a nicely sized model.
Box art is pretty standard and nothing too exciting. It is marked up as the Into Darkness Enterprise and represents the Enterprise as it is for the vast majority of the film and not in the final scene.
Continuing on with the photos of older models which I’m posting up, and continuing the Star Trek theme, here is the USS Sovereign of the Sovereign class. Obviously this is the ERTL kit of the Enterprise E which has been rebadged.
The USS Sovereign (NCC-73811) (also registered as NX-90201 and NCC-17454) was the prototype for the Sovereign-class starships in service to Starfleet in the 24th century. She was commissioned in 2372 as the first of her class.
The kit (unlike the Enterprise D kit) is reasonably detailed and builds into a nice model. It is a much later release and this is probably a reason for the greater detailing present on the kit. However, I did supplement the kit with a decal set (from Absolute Models, which I can’t find online anywhere anymore so maybe they are now discontinued). So the model itself was pretty simple to paint, using white spray can, and basically all the extra detail is through the decals. This includes the tops of the nacelles and even the deflector. I did muck up one of the decals on the underside but fortunately still had the one for the other side of the hull. So scanned this, flipped it over on the computer and reprinted it. But there is a slight colour difference between them which you can see (they are the dark decals on the saucer next to the main hull on the underside) but best rescue plan I could come up with.
Unlike the Galaxy class I didn’t recolour any of the windows in white, basically because they wouldn’t show up with the base colour being white.