Fancied doing something a bit quicker than the current Igor kit, which I’ve got myself a bit unnecessarily bogged down with, and had the Nick Fury model from the excellent range of Dragon kits. Actually slightly nervous about this as there is so much black in his clothing. So did a little research and dropped a friend an email. Got some great advice and set about working on it.
Anyway, first off assembly and really simple. The coat is separate and can be removed and the arms fit in over this. So the whole thing can all come apart really cleanly for painting.
Pictures below are with absolutely no paint on it,. and just the plain vinyl.
Well I’m going to call this complete just for the time being, as bit burnt out on these and want to move onto something else for now. The figures I’m happy with on the whole but the base could do with some more work to busy up the ground area.
Iron Man is wired in and there is a blue LED under Thor’s hammer. I have left the clear parts unpainted to better show the lighting, but it might need a little bit of blue just to show it up better.
The back wall was done with wallpaper meant for dollhouses (it is 1:12 scale rather than 1:9 but looks close enough) and the posters were downloaded and printed out. Went for some rival Marvel productions as well as some Stark posters. Was going for an alleyway look, which could do with some graffiti perhaps and maybe some drainpipes for the wall. The ground is currently bare and in time could do with some rubbish, detritus etc.
But for now it’s going to remain as it is. And I will come back to it at a later date.
Better pictures coming soon but for now here is a quick phone snap.
Been a good while since this got updated, so time to try and finish him off. Not too much to do, so some silver bits and pieces added where required and the shield got painted up (freehand). I decided to ink in the recessed lines to bring out the details on it. Just need to finish off the eyes (my most feared part of any figure after flesh tones) and add the decals to the mask.
Well this seems to be the build that feels like I’m never going to get done as there always seems to be things I forgotten about. More on that below.
Anyway, finally got around to getting the top half of Iron Man painted and spent a little time painting in the silver and gold parts. If you’ve seen previous posts you may recall that I didn’t really like the gold colour that I used, so I’ve overpainted it with a different one which is less brassy. Tones it down a bit.
So decide to make a start on Cap last night, who is the 4th character going into my Avengers scene (with Thor, Iron Man and Hulk). And actually got a huge way through him. Assembly (as with all these Dragon kits) was a breeze and there was just one small seam I wasn’t quite happy with and filled in before priming. Paints are Vallejo all hand painted. Looks a bit of a mess at the moment because just blocking in some colours and some messy washes on the gloves and boots. Just trying to get them to a ox-blood leather look.
Well this certainly turned out to be one of the easier builds I’ve done for a while and his nice chunky size makes him a really nice piece on the shelf. Not quite finished yet but pretty close.
So Hulk first got a coat of a dark olive green on his body, which I did to try and match up to the movie a bit. This was followed by a dark wash in the recesses. While this dried off I gave his trousers a coat of purple which had been darkened up a bit.
The next day I started drybrushing him to bring out all the detail. The trousers got a heavy drybrush with the original purple (ie the undarkened one) and then a light brush with a lightened version of the same purple. His body and legs had a similar treatment with the original olive green and then a lightened version of it for the high points.
The mouth was painted up with red and the teeth picked out in white. The whole thing was knocked back with some washes. Might add a little more wash inside the mouth yet. Hair is straight black, and might add the lightest drybrush with an extremely dark brown. I’m rubbish at eyes and haven’t quite got them right yet. Basically did the whites and then added some black (as his eyes are really small and dark). But his right eye just isn’t right yet. So will work on that a little bit more.
So here are some pictures. Taken at night so quality isn’t that good.