Will confess that I’ve been struggling with this build for various random reasons, most of which are of my own making, which is why there haven’t been too many updates on it. But have now broken past those issues and finally getting somewhere.
So first off the the legs were completed. This went pretty easily although the instructions show the left thigh above the right calf and vice versa which threw me for a while until I realised. The instructions on these Dragon kits really could be a bit better. The drawings are pretty basic and sometimes it’s hard to work out which way round things go, the endoskeleton in particular is tricky to figure out.
Chest panel has been removed in this picture to sort out the wiring.
But did hit a problem trying to get the groin pieces attached. Just couldn’t get them to fit and after a huge amount of fiddling (and getting pretty frustrated to be honest) I tried test fitting the trim pieces. When you do this there is a gap of about 3-4mm between the front and the back piece on each side which would explain why I couldn’t get it to fit. So something really screwy here.
Bit hard to make out, but on the top edge there is a gap on the inner piece and it is the same on the other side when that trim piece is fitted. Pretty sure this will notice when fitted unfortunately. Parked it anyway to come back to it when I’m less cross to see if I can work out what the heck is going on.
(See bit further down for the reason for this….!)
Did finally, after a huge amount of wrestling get the groin section completed.
Most of the rest of the assembly now completed as well, just a few pieces to add to the knee and elbow areas once they are painted.
In hindsight I’m beginning to wish I’d done a strip on the plating but I set myself the challenge of doing it this way and going to stick to it!!!!
So was checking the remaining parts to see what was needed (there are quite a few not required for this build) and spotted a major schoolboy error. There are 2 sets of groin parts and of course I’d used the wrong set. Hence the reason it was such a PITA to get done. So totally my error and nothing to do with Dragon. Could take that area apart but it’s in now and looks OK (not perfect but not noticeable unless you know to look) so I’m going to leave it to get this thing built.
Lighting now in place in the head, chest and arm. That at least was a straightforwards job.
Chest will have an ARC reactor print out for it as I’ve done for the others. Diffuses the light and give detail when the light is off.
Just the hands to sort really now. Had to strip the paint off as it just never set with the high gloss gold paint I found. Not sure why. It was primed up with Halfords primer (as always) so not sure if it’s something to do with the soft rubbery material its made from perhaps. So will re-prime and see if I can find a Vallejo or Games Workshop paint which will be similar to the main body.
Pushing on further, the instructions call for some areas to have a red tone while others are darker, so I used some gloss varnish and added small amounts of red to this to do this.
Seems to have worked out OK with this approach. Haven’t started on the darker panels yet and thinking of thinning down some Tamiya Smoke to do this (assuming I can find the jar). But as I’d come to a stop on that I decided to start inking in the panel lines and got a little way with that. Bit of clean up required but starting to look better at least.
Left arm just attached with blutak at the moment (you may recall that a piece was missing in my kit which attaches the arm to the body and I’ll have to bodge this at the final stage) and the hands have had a coat of Vallejo gold. Reasonable match (although nowhere near the same level of gloss). Might use this to paint up some more panels to help blend the hands and also provide some variety.
Pushing to get this finished sooner rather than later now!