Only minor progress over the weekend (not much energy as had horrible cold) but have adjusted a lot of the colours on the torso and toned them down. Much happier with the overall look now. Blocked in the cuff with white and then did the red, which needs washes now to bring it down in tone. Then will start some dry brushing to bring out highlights.
Managed to get Thor finished in primer, and used a black primer as thought it would make life a bit easier than using grey and then painting a lot of it in black.
Working through the pictures of Thor from the web and the model kit itself there are a number of differences between the two which is a bit frustrating. But one thing that was pretty obvious is there is a lot more blue in his suit than the Dragon instructions would have you believe.
This picture is pretty typical and you can see that the majority of the suit is blue.
With the weather dramatically turned (to snow and driving wind) I’m unable to get outside to give the Iron Man some primer and start the painting. At the moment I don’t have anywhere to go to do spraying, although hope to get the garage a bit cleared out this year and get some space there where I can at least spray.
So I thought I’d make a start on one of his companions and get him assembled so that I can start painting when the weather changes, or as he will only need primer and the rest will probably be done by hand I at least have a better chance of achieving that. So Thor is now out of the box and assembled.
Assembly was pretty easy although the types of plastics used threw me a little bit as to what glue to use. His arms and legs are clearly vinyl but his torso appears to be some sort of injection moulded plastic. It stuck with the usual model glues anyway and I didn’t need to use superglue.
Fit was pretty good and probably the gaps left were really down to me rather than the kit. I think if I had warmed the parts a bit they would have fitted better. But even without this the seams were pretty minor and were all fixed within 30minutes with a bit of two part epoxy (Magic Sculpt to be precise).
Some more progress. Both legs are now assembled, although some of the smaller panels have been left off to help with the painting process. A wire was run down one leg to bring power upto the chest area where I will bring all the LED terminals together, as there is a decent amount of space there.
Left arm is finished as well, again with a wire running up (this was the bit I forgot to plan ahead for) and the hand has been opened up to accommodate the LED. This was actually a bit easier than I was anticipating. There is some light leakage from around the hand but will deal with that by applying some silver paint, probably with a black under layer to block all the light. The other hand has also been sorted out and will start the assembly of that next.
So all lighting is now either in place or all worked out and should be relatively simple to complete.
Then just need to clean up a few seams and start painting…
Little bit of progress last night which took me much longer than it should have done because I didn’t plan ahead. But I have decided to do lighting (it was too good an opportunity to miss) and have installed a 3mm LED behind the chest plate. Here is a quick picture (sorry rubbish quality as it was snapped one handed with my phone as I was holding the terminals to the battery with the other hand).
I picked up some of the new Dragon kits from the Avengers Assemble movie just recently and was keen to have a go at them, particularly the Iron Man kit. There is an excellent review on the SFM:uk website for these kits so I wont repeat what is said there.
I’ve always liked Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr’s version is great (in my opinion anyway), so this adds to my enthusiasm for the kit. So got stuck in last night. Initial thoughts are good, although the fit of some parts takes a bit of experimenting and the diagrams in the instructions are a bit vague. The sprue attachment points aren’t as creative as Bandai, which always hide them somewhere and there is cleanup needed for each part to get rid of the cut marks. The second thing is that the ARC reactor is moulded in solid plastic, which will make lighting tricky if you want to go that route. The hands are quite small as well which will make inserting lighting for the palms difficult. Not impossible but certainly makes it a little harder. Would need to light the eyes as well of course. Not sure if I will go down that route now having looked at the parts and what will be needed, although had initially planned to put lights in. Will have to see and have a bit more of a play with the parts to see if it’s worthwhile.
Underneath the torso is a skeleton which you attach the suit parts to. This is a pretty good way of building the figure up and making it a bit easier to handle. The suit parts then attach on top of this. Here’s where I got to in about 30 minutes.
The lower parts are attached and glued into place but the upper parts are still loose, so I can go back and incorporate lighting into the chest if I do decide to do that.