Stargate X-303 and X-304 Completed


These two kits have been in their box for an age and deserved some attention when I rediscovered them up in the loft.  I had left them previously in a built state but that was nearly 2 years ago.  They were a bit dusty in the box and looked like a spider had got in and made it’s home there at some point as well.

I had started to do some painting on them and tried using the Games Workshop Badab Black wash on them, which was a disaster.  So they had been reprimed and put away in shame.  As I was going to be at the Brampton Show I thought I’d take them along and see if I couldn’t get some painting done on them.  Also the original review seems to be one of the most popular pages on this little blog, so thought there might be people wanting to see the final result.

So sitting behind the table I painted a few of the raised blocks in Games Workshop Iyanden Darksun for some contrast and a few panels in a lighter grey.  This was pretty much playing it by ear and I hadn’t referred to any reference pictures, so this isn’t an accurate representation of the actual vessel as it appears on TV, but my own version of it using my own colours etc. The rockets all got a coat of Boltgun Silver and the ends had some MIG Pigments Plasma Burn applied to give them a bluish effect.

The whole model then got a comprehensive wash with ProModeller Black wash.  I’d used this previously on the Star Wars hanger base I’d been working on for the show but this was the first attempt on an actual model.  When you apply it the instant reaction is “Oh my God, I’ve ruined the whole thing” as it’s covered in a thick black mess.  I’ll take a picture next time I use these washes to show what I mean.  But a little work with a slightly damped cloth and the worst comes off and it all evens out.  I left a decent amount of the wash in place around the raised block to give a lot of contrast and give a nice grimy appearance.  Think it came out pretty well.

I decided late on to add some antennas to the X-303 (the small one) to make it link better with the follow on X-304.  They aren’t there in the ship seen on TV and again this is just my take on what it might look like.

I applied the decals afterwards so they wouldn’t be hidden too much by the wash, they are tiny anyway so hardly notice.  Then a coat of satin seal and the jobs a good one.  Don’t know why it took me 2 years to get to that point as it was a quick job in the end.

The stand is the same as I used for the Moebius Galactica (or in my case Excalibur) model which is a magnetic acrylic picture block from Muji.  Really like these and will probably use them a bit more I think.  They are nice and heavy and inserting an image is dead easy.  Look nice and modern too.

So here are the completed pictures.

X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303 and X-304
X-303
X-303
X-303
X-303
X-303
X-303
X-303
X-303
X-304
X-304
X-304
X-304
X-304
X-304
X-304
X-304

And finally a little attempt to put them into orbit (which I should have spent longer on really, so it’s not very good).

In Orbit
In Orbit
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s