I’ve been sitting on this model for ages as I really wanted to airbrush paint it, and had got some airbrush paints specifically for this purpose. But as I still don’t have anywhere that I can do airbrushing and it doesn’t look like I will for some significant time I decided to get it out and hand paint it instead. I bought this kit at the Brampton Model Show last year and I really wanted to have it finished for the 2012 show, which is at the end of September.
I had bought the Vallejo paints to do this an age ago and decided to see if I could hand paint them instead of airbrushing. They are thin, as you would imagine, but I added a drop or two at a time to the area I wanted painted and spread with a largish soft brush. Seemed to work fine. A second coat would be better if you wanted a dense paint, but I’m happy to let the primer show through slightly and mute the red down.
So main body and wings is going to be red as it looked a bit like Y Ddraig Goch to me (that’s the Welsh Dragon) with his arms held out in front like that. This was done with the Vallejo Scarlet Red paint, but as noted above this isn’t as dense and bright as normal because it is a single hand painted coat and the primer knocks it back. But wanted some variety and have done the stomach area in yellow (Games Workshop Iyanden Darksun from the now discontinued Foundation Paints range) along with the “gills” on the head and the spots on the side of the face.
The scales have for the moment been done with Games Workshop Dheneb Stone but these look like they might be a bit light in colour and contrast too much with the red. Need to think on that one.
Anyway here are the progress pictures.
Now the fun stuff will start with washes and dry brushing to bring out the details. And we’ll see if some of the colours need to be changed. I hadn’t thought that of course the mouth would be red and this gives no really great contrast to the body. So might go with a much darker colour inside the mouth.
Base will be done in black (I have some Alcad paint but might not be able to use it because of the airbrushing issue), so it might temporarily be done in a regular black. Ideally I’d like it to look like coal to carry on the Welsh theme.