In catching up with posts just spotted that I never posted anything on the build of the Moebius Battlestar Galactica kit which I built for the SFM:uk Viper Squadron Build. Basically this was the basic Moebius kit assembled according to the instructions, although I left off attaching the two landing bays until after the model had been painted and decaled. The model was painted with Halfords Aluminium or Silver (I can’t remember which now) from a rattlecan. This was then washed with Games Workshop Badab Black and then sealed with Halfords Clear.
I had got the Acreation Decals set which have very pale armour detailing on them which covers the entire model and applied these. Shortly afterwards the Deluxe Set was released but to be totally honest I’m not sure there is enough difference in them to a) justify the additional cost and b) the additional time in applying them. It was a massive task as it was and pretty tedious! To begin with I wasn’t even sure they were making any difference but once one side was done it was very clear that Acreation had done an excellent job of getting the feel of the CGI model and they produce a good sense of scale.
Some custom decals were made to show the name of the Battlestar as Excalibur rather than Galactica. These had to be done in black as I had to do them on an inkjet printer. Some landing bay strips were done at the same time with the battle group number. Finally the model was sealed with Games Workshop Purity Spray which gave a nice satin finish.
These pictures were taken in an attempt to be arty and light the model in the same sort of way as the show did, with a single bright light source.
And finally a bit of a composite image.