Viper Squadron Part 7

So got the wiring done and everything bolted down. Got to touch up the weathering a bit and add the posters but that shouldn’t take long. Also add the little wing bits and a dab of red to the ends of the wings…

99% Done
99% Done
99% Done
99% Done
99% Done
99% Done

Had originally planned for a missile rack, as can be seen in the Galactica walk around, but run out of time for that now.

Battery for the lights is in the rather plain box by the wall. Can’t find my box of bits (assume it is somewhere but seems to be the only box I haven’t managed to locate in the last 12 months since our move) so hadn’t got very much to add to it. It will get a bit of a rubdown with some pigments when I touch up the Viper.

One thing to note is that I’ve done the decals around the rear engines wrongly. The red line should be broken by the engine gubbins and not run behind it.

Decal Plan
Decal Plan

I think a few of us have done this by mistake so I am at least not alone in this error. Also explains why I had a bit of a wrestle getting the decals to fit probably.

So there you have it. Another one to add to the done list and this will probably be the last post on this build and just some completed pictures to follow.

Viper Squadron Part 6

Well weathering nearly done. Need to retouch a few spots where the decals are noticable. Decided not to go the ProModellers route in the end and used the MIG pigments instead.

Weathering
Weathering
Weathering
Weathering

These are a bit washed out (taken on the windowsill this morning on my phone) and the weathering is a bit more than it appears.

Nearly done. Just the following to do:

-finish wiring the engines

-glue the engines into place and fill any gaps

-touch up the paint and weathering

-paint the canopy and fix into place

-paint and weather the battery box

-run a channel under the base for the wires from the Viper to the battery box

-paint the pilot

-put up the posters

Viper Squadron Part 5

OK, decals on. Bit of a cock up on a couple of them and left a small gap but filled it in with some of the extra bits Mark thoughtfully provided.

Decals
Decals
Decals
Decals

Shiny and fresh at the moment. Needs some seal on the decals then set to work with the ProModeller wash I got at Telford. Slightly nervous about it as not used them before and could all go hideously wrong. Will try and rewatch their videos on You Tube tomorrow before setting to it at the weekend.

Viper Squadron Part 4

So most of my list of things from my last post have been done. Model now got a gloss coat on it and may get a chance to start some decals tonight.

These were taken just prior to putting the gloss on:

Viper
Viper
Viper
Viper
Viper
Viper

Gettting there!!!

I thought it looked a bit monotone in the engine and gubbins parts so freshened it up with some brassy coloured bits. Also decided that the ribs at the front looked better white than gunmetal as breaks up that area a bit more. Know it doesn’t match the boxart etc but sure there would be some slight variations amongst the Vipers in service.

Do need to tone down the “plasma burn” pigments on the nozzles a bit as bit too blue at the moment. Probably dry brush on some more gunmetal and silver to knock it back into the recesses.

Viper Squadron Part 3

Rubbish camera phone picts (will take better ones before moving on) but just to prove that it now looks like a Viper:

Progress
Progress
Progress
Progress

Must say that the fit around the back is either quite poor or I’ve made an error somewhere. Quite a few gaps around the engines which will need a bit of filler in them.

So task list for tonight is:

-sort out the thrusters (mark them up and shallowly drill them out)
-fill gaps around the engine parts
-fill gap behind the cockpit (forgot that as well before sealing up the fuselage)
-have put on some Wave option parts for the Rescue handle bit but they are too proud of the surface and either need to be drilled in or sanded down to make them a bit flusher (another thing which would have been easier if I’d done it before glueing up!)

Should then be ready for a coat of white primer before the end of the week. Then just decals and some weathering. Have some stuff put to one side for the equipment in the bay which I hope I can whizz through quickly.

Still not found anything ready made to contain the LEDs for the engine so going to have to try and make something round out of styrene sheet I think. Keep looking at every round item I find but not found anything suitable as yet.

Nothing like cutting it fine is there! And February seemed so far away…