I got these two models an age ago and have been fiddling with them for ages every since but never really made very much progress. So thought they would be a relatively easy build for the Crewe show so I could bring something along which is new. Both models are by Saltire Technologies and available from Starship Modeler. The first of the two models is the X-303 Prometheus which was the first Earth built ship capable of faster than light travel and the second is the Human X-304 Class Deep Space Carrier of which there were a number seen in the SG1 and SG Atlantis series, including the Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev, Apollo and Phoenix. Both models are 1/2500 scale, so also fit nicely with the 1:2500 Star Trek kits.
Inside the box for the X-303 you get a number of small parts:
However there were a couple of small issues with the casting on mine at least. The engines (which look like Wave Option Parts to me) weren’t well cast and the front of the ship was slightly misaligned in the mould to make it trapezoid rather than square.
However, these were not major issues. The engines were replaced with similar Wave Option Parts (not identical but fine as far as I am concerned) and the front section was sanded until square.
A small amount of filler was required around the points where the top section connects to the main body, but nothing exceptional.
The X-304 is a different affair and I would imagine was cast by someone else. The parts of a consistent resin (as you can see from the above picture there are at least 2 different types of resin in the X-303), are finely cast and have only 1 or 2 small airbubbles. Much nicer. You can clearly see a lot of those Wave Option Parts on there, which makes me think the X-303 engines are definitely from those sets.
Assembly was simple and relatively easy. Couple of minor gaps (probably easily dealt with if I had sanded down better to start with) notably where the engines glue into the underside of the pods which were filled with Mr Surfacer.
It was at this point I basically stalled on the build. A number of small antenna are supplied for the X-304 as a resin wafer but they were a little distorted and had a huge amount of flash on them. Clean up is entirely possible but thought I could do better with some fine metal tubing or rod. So went hunting for this again at the Scalemodel World show in Telford. Found some eventually (wasn’t much choice to be honest) which I thought should do the trick. These consist of a short length of tube with some fine rod inserted into it. Needs a little bit of cleanup to get the excess superglue off but you get the idea.
There is a larger antenna on the front which I did with a set of tubing to build up something a bit bigger
So that’s where it is at at the moment, Basically complete and ready for some primer. Will give the parts a gentle wash to remove all the finger oils that have built up and then hit it with some Halfords Grey Primer to start with.