1:96 Saturn V-Part 7


Still working on the second stage, but now on the bottom of it. There are numerous additional resin parts to add around this area from the New Ware kit.  I will need to check the information to work out what these actually are I’m afraid.

Second Stage
Second Stage

But one thing that is reasonably clear is that even though this does add a lot of additional detail there are still a lot of details which are not represented, basically all that wiring you can see in the picture on the right, which is the Saturn V on display at the Kennedy Space Center.  There is also a ring around the bottom of the stage that is punctuated with holes which is not represented in either the Revell kit or the New Ware add on parts.  It is possible that this was not something common to all Saturn V’s (remembering that the one on display at KSC is the test one, but this is also the one that the kit is really based upon).  But looks like I have some additional wiring to do to the base, which I will do once painting is finished.

The Real Thing
The Real Thing

I haven’t upto now touched any of the interstage parts but they looked like pretty easy components and I thought I would tick them off my list.  The interstage between the first and second stage is the piece below.

First Interstage
First Interstage

The additional parts which allow you to make a stack where trimmed away first.  Unfortunately because Revell did base their model on the test version this had 8 ullage thrusters, but flown versions only had 4 (and later ones had none).  This means trimming off every other one of the mounting points that have been moulded in.  The New Ware resin thrusters fit nicely onto the stage.

Second Interstage
Second Interstage

The second of the interstages I decided to tick off was the one between second and third stages.  This just has four little “modules”.  There isn’t honestly really a lot of difference between the Revell ones and the New Ware ones but as I have them I replaced the kit ones.  Original is on the left and new one on the right.

Third Stage
Third Stage

Final for this update is moving onto the third stage.  I had originally planned to replace the wrap with a new piece of stock sheet, but I didn’t have anything the right thickness, so went with the kit one.  The reason to replace it was because it had got a bit damaged at one end.  Bit worked out OK and nothing a bit of filler wont fix.

Quite a bit of resin and photoetch on this stage, which will start on next.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s