1:96 Saturn V-Part 5

Well not much of an actual nuts and bolts update but I did get a little time over this weekend and decided that I just had to see how big this things was going to be.  As I am nearly finished with the first stage I was starting to put the wraps together for the second stage anyway and just carried on with the third lot of wraps.  There will be a little more on that bit when I properly get to it because there is a little cheat I worked out.

I also wanted to see this as a full stack as when it is constructed the joining parts on the interstages will be removed to make them a bit more accurate and that means I wont be able to stack it again.  So I needed to see it at least once like this.

Anyway, not quite the full height as the command and service modules and the launch escape tower are missing and F1 engines not fitted.  But this was as high as I could go anyway without hitting the ceiling.

Stacked
Stacked

Let’s just say it is big and leave it at that…..

And yes I do realise that the United States on the second stage is upside down.  More about why later.

1:96 Saturn V-Part 4

It has been a while!  Basically because I needed to get sorted out with two things which really needed to be cracked at this stage.  The first one was how it was going to be displayed which needed quite a bit of thought and figuring out. The second one was working out what bits and pieces of plastic I would need to do the detailing and the display.  I wanted to get this sorted before ordering as EMA Model Supplies have a minimum order charge and I didn’t want to find out I needed something else straight away.

So figured that out and have now got the stuff.  And back to it.

Although it doesn’t look like much sorting out the tunnel (which is the cold helium and electrical umbilical tunnel) which runs up the side of the first stage took me about 2 hours.  This is made up of 3 long pieces of photoetch which form the half round part and 2 pieces which make up the end caps.  These are formed around a piece of 6.4mm half round (which was a perfect size) instead of the kit part, which is too high (basically the half round part on top of a 2-3mm raised section).  It doesn’t fit perfectly to the body and will need a bit of filling along the edge where it meets.

There is another tunnel on the other side but that should be much easier now.  Other bits of photoetch are now going on and it is starting to look a bit busier.  Trying to figure out exactly where they go based on the instructions and reference pictures takes up most of the time.  Generally now have my laptop next to the workbench so I can check as I go along.

First Stage
First Stage