It is freezing cold in my model room (which happens to be the converted loft space in our house and is consequently above the insulation) and it in not very conducive to sitting for any length of time working out the best build strategy on the Saturn V, let alone actually doing any building. So instead I took a few shoots of the parts (apologies for the slightly rubbish pictures), which is something I should have done right at the start but forgot…
So here is what I’m working with….
The model itself is the 25th Anniversary edition (already nearly 15 year old). The box is huge which gives some clue as to the size of the finished model, well over a metre long (3′ in old money, probably more like 4′).
There are 3 real groups of parts. There are the plastic wrap pieces which are just flat pieces of plastic sheet with the relevant decals already printed onto them (I haven’t shown these because they are basically pieces of plastic sheet), the large collar parts and the detail pieces.
Collar parts (the 3 which make up the first stage aren’t shown because they ae already incorporated into the build shown in my previous update):
Detail parts. These include the engines (the J2 engines for the second and third stage are on the top right, the F1 engines would have been on the bottom right but these have already been made up), the launch escape tower (middle bottom) and various piping and other detailing bits:
These are the rest of the parts which are for the Command and Service Modules (left) and the LEM (on the right). These are moulded in a silver plastic, which will be obviously repainted and for some of these I will give Bare Metal Foil a go:
The detail parts come from the New Ware kit:
This contains both brass photo etched parts and resin pieces.
There are two sheets of photoetch. One of the big problems I will have (not having really worked with photoetch before) is how to fold them to ensure they fit properly and don’t gunk them with superglue). The first is mainly for detailing the stack itself with the connectors and other detail elements which are completely absent from the Revell kit.
A lot of the second sheet is for the Command and Service Modules. The Revell kit depicts a Block I version and all the manned flights where in Block II versions. So there are a number of elements which need to be altered and this provide the means of doing so.
Then the resin parts. There are a big bag of these. The largest are replacements for the cowlings around the bottom of the first stage. There is a replacement piece for the bottom of the first stage but in all honesty I prefer the detailing on the Revell part although I recognise that it may not be as accurate. Then there are lots and lots of detailing bits, some of which are replacements for the Revell pieces and some of which are not represented at all.
And the rest of them. Some are pretty small and need to be sanded off the sheet. Detailing overall is excellent on these and they are very crisp with very little (if any) flash.
There are also decals which I got at the time which provide a great deal more detail than those provided in the kit. I understand that there are better sets available from Rick Sternbach but I ended up getting these ones as I was ordering it all at the same time.
And finally there is a vacuformed Blast Protection Canopy (BPC) which is made by Real Space Models. This protects the Command Module during take off and is a part which is completely missing from the Revell kit. This goes directly underneath the launch escape tower.
So that’s the run down of the parts. Progress is likely to be slow over this very cold period but I still hope to get a few bits and pieces done during this time.