1:96 Saturn V-Part 2


Well some little amount of progress this weekend and made me realise that this is going to be a pretty big task.

The remaining 4 F-1 engines were assembled, although the detail parts are still to be added.  The inside needed grinding down a bit because there are injection points which will be visible in the finished model.  Not a big job though.

F-1 Engines
F-1 Engines

The next bit I started to work on was the first stage.  This is formed by three complete round pieces which have the ribbing on them and 2 plastic sheet wraps.  I suspect that the idea was to keep the number of big parts down and thus reduce the manufacturing cost.  But they are a pain!  But with a bit of care (the pre-drilled holes are in slightly the wrong place) and a bit of trimming to get the parts to join at the edge of the piping it doesn’t do a bad job.  I had read about replacing these with plastic tube but sourcing the right size is not easy and it is very expensive.

I did discover that either through misreading the (very vague) instructions or the parts being incorrect there was a gap between the piping parts.  Not a big deal to correct and these will anyway be covered with photoetch for the New Ware detailing kit in due course.

The ruler against the side is 12″ long to give you some idea of the scale of this thing.

Stage 1
Stage 1
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s